Thursday, April 29, 2010

Eastcoast Remix

Jambo from New York!

God is good and faithful and providing and knows every step we ever took in life and every step we'll ever take hereafter.

You may be wondering how someone from NY ended up on CCC's trip to Kisumu this summer. My journey toward this summer and being part of the STARS really began last summer.

I worked at a Christian summer camp in Pennsylvania and while other people felt called to missions so clearly, I didn't feel such a calling. In fact, I felt the absence of a calling. I knew God was preparing me for all that was before me, and chose to respond willingly with a "Ndiyo" [yes] as His plan unfolded step by step.

I go to Hofstra University on Long Island and am really involved with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. Every 3 years they have a missions conference called Urbana. This past December in St. Louis, I joined more than 17,000 college students and young adults to worship God, learn about how God is working all around the world, and meet hundreds of mission organizations eagerly seeking young people [no joke, there was an exhibit hall with all the organizations table after table after table and the room stretches for forever, and there was no way to not feel overwhelmed!]

On the very last day [after I felt like I met every organization out there], I met Christ's Hope. As the conference ended, I made a commitment to serve for at least 2 years in a mission setting, whether home or abroad, though I didn't know when or where or how. I was still talking with some other organizations as the new year began, but after several phone conversations and lots of time in prayer, I realized my heart was already in Kenya loving God's children.

It's incredible what God will do when we offer ourselves to be used as He chooses. This time last year [even 3 months ago!] it would have never even crossed my mind that I could potentially be working in Kenya all summer. I'm constantly reflecting on Proverbs 16:9- "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." How true! When we offer ourselves to be used by God, He'll respond to our desire to serve Him and lead us in life as a part of His good and loving plan, step by step.

Mungu Yu Mwema [God is Good!],
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment