Saturday, May 1, 2010

Happy May Day

Jambo from Fair Oaks, California!

I would like to share with you all just one of the ways God is working in the "daily" of my life.

Yesterday, I was on an errand to get some bird food for the resident bluebirds that have decided to nest in an old birdhouse in the back garden. I had purchased the meal worms and was exiting the parking lot. Waiting to turn right to go home I saw directly across the street the residence of a retired missionary from Africa. I remembered that she had recently moved back to her residence from a month-long stay at a  local
physical rehabilitation facility. She had fallen and broken her right femur (thigh) in two places.

So, I crossed the street and decided to take a "chance" and see if Lois was accepting visitors. At the front desk I was told that indeed she was in her room and her caregiver was with her. Not knowing what to expect I knocked on her door and was welcomed in.

We renewed our acquaintance. I told her I had met her on a Sunday when she helped our STARS group with the Swahili language and had given us a book she had written about her days as a missionary to Congo. She and I shared how good God is all the time, even when there is pain and suffering. She told me "when you are flat on your back the only place to look is up".

Well, she was waiting for her physical therapist's first visit and she was concerned about her kneecap being unstable. I waited with her until the therapist arrived and we hoped he would have an Ace bandage for her to use. Lois was a nurse in Congo and shared how she had stitched people up but was amazed that today staples "do the trick" quite well. Her healing has been rapid and we were praising God for that when the therapist arrived. Sadly, he had just given his last Ace bandage to another client.

So, off I went to the local RiteAid and in fifteen minutes they had what they needed. When I came back in the room Lois was walking with the aid of a walker and Mike, the therapist! The bandage will be used another time. I believe it will last longer than flowers and candy!

I also believe God has connected us all to each other in amazing ways. As I watch and wait for Him daily, I see the proof of I John4: 9-10 "This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son..." and I John 4:11 "Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another."

Blessings,
Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment