Saturday, May 22, 2010

What was Paradise?

Greetings from the garden!

"What was Paradise but a garden? An orchard of trees and herbs, full of pleasure and nothing there but delights." William Lawson

Just in from the garden... The bluebird babies are loud and hungry. Mom and Dad Bluebird are so busy finding food for their little ones. Thomas (husband of 28 years yesterday!) and I are their assistants, finding earthworms, beetles and providing meal worms from the pet store. It is lots of fun to watch their forays in and out of the old birdhouse they decided to nest in.

The vegetables are all planted. Tomatoes, squash, beans, potatoes, peppers. The herbs are lush and tasty.

I am reminded that God planted the first garden. I am amazed at all the different shades of green there are!

Gardening has taught me many things; faith that a tiny seed will grow; patience in that process; wonder at how that mysterious life unfolds and provides nourishment; perseverance when the crop has failed or the yield is small; delight in the harvest of the season.

One of my favorite hymns is about coming to the garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses...

                         "and He walks with me and He talks with me and He tells me I am His own
                           and the joy we share as we tarry there, none other has ever known"
                           C. W. Austin

Well, I know I am passionate about gardening and watching how God provides for all the birds. And that reminds me of another favorite Scripture:

                        "Therefore, I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat  or drink: or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes: Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"     Matthew 6:25-27

So, no worries here in the garden! Africa is waiting...

Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment