Friday, July 9, 2010

This is why I'm in Africa

Jambo Sana!

This has been a packed week. In every way shape and form. There's a lot I could say about the whole of the week, but I want to focus on...

Tuesday: Nyahera


My favorite day of the week. Hands down. I couldn't help but think as we walked into and out of each home, "This is why I'm in Africa." Walking through bushes, avoiding snakes. Sitting in homes made of sticks and clay. Digesting breathtaking views in any direction. Children chasing the Land Cruiser as we were driving on the most remote roads. Every experience was so special to my time in this lovely country.

Christ's Hope is setting up a community and child sponsorship program like that of Compassion International. So Jessica and I get to spend our time here connecting with the different families and really getting to know the children because at the end of this journey, we're writing their biographies. It is such a blessing to be able to really learn about the ins and outs of the lives. Their favorite colors. The chores they have to do- ranging from fetching water and firewood, to caring for all the children of the family. Their hope and dreams for the future. Their parental situation. Favorite animal. Everything.

So for part of the day, I was with Mama Joskey and Lillian going to each of the homes of the children involved in our Nyahera Ministry Carepoint. It was so neat to see where they live, and put the names and faces and homes all together. Most of the kids were in school, but we had the chance to speak with whomever they were living with- dad, mother, aunt, grandmother, and ask them how the children are responding to each Saturday spent together, and how they are progressing and changing at home. We got some really solid feedback. It seems like all the children really love coming every Saturday. They go home each week with full bellies smiling and sharing with their families what they learned, the Bible story, the memory verse, and of course proudly show off their color sheets. Character-wise, a few people that said that their children are more respectful around the home, and more punctual and motivated to go to school and get there on time. Those are all encouraging things to hear- but the comment that sank in the most was from Claire's father. Even though Claire lives with her grandmother who has dementia, Claire's father stays just a minutes walk away. He said that he's seen wonderful changes in Claire- but then he stopped and with all sincerity in his heart, he thanked us for what we're doing. He said that he didn't know how to raise a daughter, and it's great that we can come along side him and be a mother-figure to Claire, especially as she is quickly approaching her teenage years. I'm glad we can step along side Claire's father to guide her in this time.

Even though I was doing OVC stuffs most of the day, I did get several opportunities to go on Care & Compassion visits with Desmond and Dorine in Nyahera. It actually worked out quite nicely- we ALL went there in the Land Cruiser, then the OVC team would be dropped off to go to a few houses, while C & C went to do a couple visits... then we'd all meet back together and drive to another area of Nyahera. This was only my 2nd time out on C & C... and I just can't get enough of it. I love it so much. My heart is so in it. Walking in to these homes, praying with patients, checking in on their health, sharing an encouraging word from Scripture- I'll say it again, "This is why I'm in Africa."

I will share with you one story that's very dear to my heart, and on my mind constantly. At the Nyahera MCP, we have 3 children who've captured my attention; Geoffrey, Emmanuel, and Esther. I had the chance to go to their house without Mama and Lillian for Care and Compassion. Their mother, Marilyn, is not doing so well. She's one of our patients who is very physically weak, but her spirit is strong! She loves her children very much and I just want to see her healed and restored so she can just continue to be there to love and care for her precious children. She has 6 children total- the older three live with relatives. So Geoffrey has stepped into the role of the oldest child- responsible and makes sure to provide in any way he can for his family. He even makes sure Esther eats her lunch and has enough to eat before he eats. Emmanuel is such a happy boy. He is always one of the first to greet me each Saturday, and when we got out of the car at his house, he gave me a warm welcome. Esther is a different story- she is quiet and reserved... always aware of her surroundings and looking for ways to keep order. I've noticed that even though she is one of the youngest and smallest of the children at the MCP, she makes sure everyone is where they need to be and doing what they need to be doing. She even walked over to another boy whose pants were falling down and hoisted up his pants for him. It made me laugh for a long time. Even though Esther always warms up to us by the end of the day, she's very very shy and weary of our attention at first. I always thought this was her personality until we went to her home. After Emmanuel greeted us, I went to shake Esther's hand. She screamed and ran away. I was surprised at her reaction, because she's never acted as afraid of us as she did that day. We went inside and started our visit with her mother and Emmanuel and Esther came too. Esther was sitting with her mom and wouldn't make any eye contact while she stared at the ground. As our visit continued, I took my sunglasses, or "stunna shades", off my head and gave them to Emmanuel- as I always do on Saturdays. Esther walked outside with him and then returned my "stunna shades" to me. It was after that point that she relaxed and was friendly with us.

I didn't think much of this until Denise filled me on on her behavior. The very first time that "Mzungus" went to her house, they took her mother away to go to the hospital. So now, Esther associates "Mzungus" with the absence of her mother. She now has a lot of stress- and it is really displayed around us "Mzungus." Mama Joskey also told me that Esther was one of the most friendly and lively kids before her mother got very ill. Clearly the condition of her mother is having tremendous effects on little Esther. I later realized, after talking to my wise psychologist Dad, that when we did our sunglasses routine at her house, she recognized it was me, not just any "Mzungu" there to take her mother away again. That was encouraging because it means we are slowly building trust with her, and slowly warming her back up to us again.

Please continue to pray for Esther, Emmanuel, Geoffrey, and their mother Marilyn. My heart goes out to their family in this difficult time, and I know that with prayers, the Lord will continue to give them strength and provision.

And thank you for all the prayers going into this day of Care & Compassion. God really gave me words and scripture fore each patient, and was definitely leading all day.

Mungu yu Mwema!
Mary

3 comments:

  1. PRAISE GOD! It is wonderful how the Spirit is guiding you giving you the right words and scriptures for each patient, I love that.

    Through the things you shared today we can see again what a hart you have for these people, such love and compassion. I confess that when I read what you and the other women have been doing or have done in Africa I say to myself, "Wow, I could not do that, I would be so uncomfortable and not know what to say. But I also know that if I was in a similuar situation I know the Spirit would empower me to do what I need to do and it would be a total God thing. I also recgonize the Spiritual gifts God gives to each of us and how important it is that we are all different and not all have the same distribution of gifts...for we would not make a good body if we were all the same. So, I give God thanks for His infinite wisdom in distributing our gifts in such a way to make the body of Christ one complex, complete body (all we need to do is use them to their full potential)

    Blessings to you and Jessica :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mary...my heart beats hard when I hear of your visits with the patients and children. I was so focused on being "all there", when I was in Africa, and yet I am having such a hard time being "all here", back in America. I love you all dearly and am praying constantly. Thank you for the wonderful blog entry! I cannot express what it means to me. XOXO Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mungu aku bariki Mary!
    You are definitely letting the Spirit guide you. I love your transparency as you share your heart for C and C. Greet Geoffrey for me. Wow, what a man!
    Love Pat

    ReplyDelete