Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Choose to wait, and my new Bff's



Julie and Lilian are 2 girls who have intensely touched my heart while I have been going out to do ministry.

A couple days ago Julie walked into the house and it wasn't long before we knew it was her birthday. We sang to her and eventually got to go on a walk with her. She is a volunteer for Christ's Hope and she is wonderful! She has 5 kids and raises them all to fear the Lord. She was very glad to hear I had kids and instantly wanted to see pictures of them. I also learned today that she got to take a camera home so she can take picture of hers for me. This touched me to know she was thinking of me after she went home.

Yesterday a girl named Lilian came to the house before we went out to do ministry... She was very shy but after morning devotionals she prayed and brought the word of God to life. I was so excited to learn that she would be going out to Choose to Wait ministry with her and Mama Joskey (A wonderful woman!). We got on the tuk tuk and road out to the matatu (See Pat's blog for the definition). From there we had an hour long ride where Laura and I were squished in the back.

When we got to the school we were in awe of the beauty in the hills of Africa... Rich green plants in contrast with the bright red soil. We walked down a long path past mud huts tucked quietly between different type of wildlife. We were accompanied by kids walking to and from school, it was so beautiful that I couldn't even take a picture, I feel like it would ruin the perfection of God's work.

When we got to the school we were asked to share our testimonies with about 40 kids ages 16-25 although most were 16. I shared my testimony and for the first time I was living out my thoughts that I wanted to bring my story to Africa. How perfect God's timing is to know when I needed to be in this country to share my story. The speaking setting was literally under a beautiful African tree, the wind was gracefully dancing through the area between me and the students reminding me that God was with me. As I did math problems in my head (A new technique we learned to keep from crying) God let me vulnerability pass onto the children in Africa.

We were told after school was over that our story had taken one of the girls life to the Lord... We partied with the angels on the red path back to the matatu praising God and taking in the moment. The students we met were told to be the "tough" kids, but after talking to them we realized they were in need of someone like Laura and I to share our stories. We then leaned that 9 of the girls were pregnant. I can only hope my story saves those babies lives.

We road the matatu home with so much laughter with Lilian we were falling off our seats not just from the wild ride... She shared her story with us that made me realize no matter how much I fit in here, I am not in America anymore. The words with a smile, "My mother died when I was 2, and my father when I was in grade 2... but that's life."

Lilian is one of the most beautiful women I have met in and out. She told me I can post her picture so I am going to take one with her and put it up...

LOVE, Tanea

No comments:

Post a Comment